Sunday, April 17, 2016

Using Math Manipulatives with Board Games

Thank you Deedee Wills for hosting this linky party!
Check Out DeeDee's Linky Party Here

I love to use counters, cubes and other manipulates with board games.  Even plain old dry beans work well as counters.  I also love to make game boards.  In honor of Earth Day, I created a set of game boards and cards with a rainforest theme.  The cards in this game set have subtraction incomplete number sentences on them. Everything in this game set comes in three formats - full color, a touch of color and black & white.
Each student that will be playing the game recieves 10 counters. As a group, the students can choose 1 of the 4 gameboards and the deck of cards.
When a student gets a card he looks at the incomplete number sentence and writes it on his wipe off board.  He uses his beans to solve the problem, then rolls the dice and moves that many spaces on the game board. There is more learning and fun going on in this math center because of the use of the math manipulatives.


Check out this game set here



What is your favorite way to use manipulatives in teaching math?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for linking up!

    Cheryl, I am like you! I love incorporating games in my classroom! I agree with adding manipulatives to prove their thinking!

    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete